Saturday, January 10, 2015

Perfect Pasta Sauce

Yesterday I unstrung the lights from my Christmas tree. When I came home from work 10 hours later, I discovered I had several pine needles underneath my bra. I am not joking.

Today, in an attempt to restore some class to my life, I'm making pasta sauce. Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce, to be specific. This sauce is a phenomenal ego boost. It feels like something that came out of an Italian grandmother's kitchen, not off my crappy electric stove, and yet it's one of the easiest recipes I know. I don't even have words for how incredible it makes my apartment smell. 


 In addition to being aromatic and classy, it totally fits the bill for my life right now; it's cheap and delicious,  and I can make it while sitting on my couch writing this post... or more accurately, watching Parks and Recreation. Done and done.

Perfect Pasta Sauce
adapted (slightly) from Marcella Hazan

2 28-oz cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
1 stick (8Tbs) butter
2-3 large garlic cloves, garlic
1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes*
salt to taste

Dump the tomatoes into a large pot, then break apart using your hands. The picture above is my pot of tomatoes about halfway through that process If you're less childish/more hygienic than I, you can use some sort of utensil. Add the onion, butter, garlic, red pepper and a couple pinches of salt. Turn heat to medium, then bring to a simmer. Adjusting the heat to keep it simmering, cook for ~45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove onion halves** and eat.

*today, I may have used the pepper flake packets  that come when you order Dominos. Don't judge me.
** these taste COMPLETELY like tomatoes. It's accidental molecular gastronomy!

2 comments:

  1. Could one leave in the onion and immersion-blend this recipe?

    Also, I'm curious if you've tried roasting rather than doing this on the stove top, and if so what you thought of the result.

    Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither! It is a recipe borrowed from a relatively famous lady, so my bet would be someone on the internet has tried... let me know if you have any luck!

      Delete