Friday, February 20, 2015

The anti-cheeseburger

24 is unusual. Two of my best friends just got engaged, and I'm not at all panicked- just really happy, and excited for them. This may seem like a no-brainer, but marriage scares the crap out of me, and viscerally realizing that it's perfect for my friends is kind of a new thing. What can I say? I've got issues. Yesterday, while signing my life away to rent cross country skis, I found myself staring at my age the way I stare at the date for the first couple months of each new year- feeling a little out of sorts, and half convinced that it couldn't be truly real. My age is sneaking up on me... like bluegrass, and drinking green smoothies.

I know. I'm that girl.

Does it help to know that I started drinking these because I'd eaten a whole dominos pizza over the course of three hours while sitting on my couch? Does it help to know that I'm making these in my incredibly crappy, bought-at-the-mormon-second hand-shop blender, instead of something fancy? Does it help to know that they're devastatingly delicious?


Seriously, I'm willing to segment a grapefruit for that jar of green crap... that's love. Picture made possible by the photogenicness (photogenicity? photobeautificationality? awesomeness?) of Kurt Vonnegut.

In truth, it's everything I ever wanted green juices and smoothies to be... and everything they ever failed at while tasting like kale, being full of sugar, or making me feel like I should be doing zumba in a color coordinated spandex outfit. So when a friend texted me suggesting I solve all of my problems with cheeseburgers (good advice), I texted the above photo back. Time to own my age.


Ginger Grapefruit Green Smoothie
Adapted slightly from The Minimalist Baker

1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented*
1 banana, sliced and frozen**
1 apple, peeled and cored
1/2 cup almond milk (although I assume regular milk would work too)
~2 cups spinach
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger

Instructions: put things in blender, blend. 

*Do not attempt this with your Utah-cracked winter fingers. It will hurt.
**Frozen bananas are magic... they whip up, weird chemistry happens, and they thicken things like whoa. Unfrozen bananas would probably work, but would be less exciting, and require me to remember I had bananas before they went bad