Sunday, May 24, 2015

Warm Green Beans and Potatoes with Sliced Eggs and Grilled Onions

I still haven't eaten those sardines... they're sitting on my shelf, judging me. I keep buying Triscuits and eating all of them before I remember that I was supposed to eat them with sardines. I'd like to pretend that it's just coincidence, but the truth is I haven't eaten a sardine since my first foray into blogging, and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. Triscuits on the couch are much less complicated. Triscuits are never a challenge.

Speaking of challenges, I've been struggling to write here recently, and I'm not sure why. Maybe moving took it out of me. Maybe it's because I've (finally) started telling people about this blog, and I'm all sorts of nervous. Maybe it's because I'm taking my food pictures with an iphone, and in this age of instagramed everything I'm a little embarrassed about the quality of my photography.

On the other hand, it makes me irrationally happy that blogger's spellcheck doesn't recognize instagram as a word... although it might just be snarky competition on behalf of the corporate folks. I wonder if it recognizes WordPress? What about Tumblr? Hmm. Yes on both counts.


Anyways, I like this photo. It was definitely still taken with my iphone (hey there, grainy quality!), but I managed to take the thing before my kitchen got dark. More importantly, the eggs are beautiful. One of the best things about my new hippie-commune home- one of the best things so far about living in Utah, honestly- is that the girls next door raise chickens, and sell the eggs to the community. I am now living in perfect, fresh egg heaven. The orange color of those yolks is everything.

The salad above was made for a community potluck (sensing a theme?) but it's a recipe I've had forever. It actually came from the same book as that cucumber soup I wrote about so long ago- the first cookbook I ever owned. I've since discovered via google that it was called "Fresh Food Fast", a stupid title if I ever heard one, but in this case it's accurate. I call it dinner in a bowl, and the hippies ate all of it. 

Warm Green Beans and Potatoes with Sliced Eggs and Grilled Onions
Adapted slightly from Fresh Food Fast

1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch wedges 
2 lbs small new potatoes (or other yellow potatoes) cut into bite-sized chunks
1 lb green beans, trimmed
4 large eggs
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs whole grain mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat a large heavy skillet (cast iron works great) over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until deeply browned all over, stirring occasionally. It's ok if they get a little charred.

In whatever bowl you intend to use for serving, whisk together the vinegar mustard thyme and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then add the cooked onions and toss to coat.

Meanwhile, cook the potatoes eggs and green beans. If you have a steamer insert, steam the potatoes- I don't, so I covered the potatoes with about an inch of water, brought the whole thing to a boil, then let it simmer for ~20 minutes. Yours might take more or less time, depending on how you cut your potatoes. Green beans get blanched- boil a big pot of water, then toss the green beans in for about three minutes. Hard boil eggs however you'd like- I prefer to bring a pot of water to a boil, add the eggs, then turn off the heat and let them sit for 12 minutes. 

The above reminds me of a math problem, actually- how do you cook all those things while minimizing pots of water? Any clever people in the audience want to solve it for me?

Slice the hard boiled eggs- I do mine just in half- then toss the whole salad together. Voila!