Thursday, June 11, 2015

Tacos

I am in love with the colors of these tacos. I love them so much that I bought a red cabbage the other day expressly for this purpose... and I had a whole green one at home in the fridge. What am I going to do with a whole green cabbage? I didn't even know I liked cabbage until this recipe.



I'm also not normally that into sweet potatoes. They're too sweet. I'm a big fan of putting salt in my deserts, but I prefer not to put sweet things into my vegetables. I'm clearly a very interesting person.

Becca- why is all of this food in tupperware? My whole LIFE is tupperware. You think I have time for plates? 


Even beautiful all mixed together, hanging out on the sidewalk where I was eating dinner. Canvassing is terrible, but good food makes it better. Good food makes most things better.

The tacos are awesome. I've fed them to serious meat eaters with rave reviews. There's no cheese and I don't mind. I think they might even be healthy! They're good even if you run out of tortillas and end up dumping all the filling into a bowl. They're so good, in fact, that I've started making double batches... and it's just me eating tacos. Last time I did this, I consumed four pounds of sweet potatoes in a matter of days. That may not have been a responsible decision, but I don't care. Tacos!



This recipe is courtesy of joythebaker, who takes beautiful photos and knows what to do with bourbon. I've only done a little bit of editing... like only putting spicy things in one of the components. If I try and chili all of the parts, I get distracted and end up making fire tacos. She also uses real limes, because she's classy. I use bottled lime juice, because it's cheaper and won't go bad in my fridge. I think she'd probably forgive me.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos with Lime Cabbage Slaw
Adapted slightly from joythebaker

Corn tortillas
2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs) peeled and cut into small pieces
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 red cabbage, shredded 
1 serrano or jalapeno chile, seeds removed, diced very finely
1/2 a large onion, diced and divided
~2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
4 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp cumin
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp olive oil, a big pinch of salt, and red pepper flakes if using. Spread on a sheet pan and bake until soft, about 40 minutes. A couple times during the baking process, take the pan out of the oven and toss the potatoes around so they cook evenly.

Meanwhile, toss the cabbage, serrano chile and lime juice together. Add ~1/3 of the onion. Since this onion is staying raw, I like to give it an extra dicing for good measure- I leave the other 2/3 in bigger pieces. Add salt to taste, and let it sit while the potatoes are cooking.

Heat some olive oil (1tsp-1Tbsp) in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, then stir in cumin and stir for juts about a minute. Add beans, turn heat down to low, and cook until heated through.

When all your components are ready, warm your tortillas in a pan over medium-low heat, or by tossing them in the oven for a couple minutes. Tortilla, potatoes, beans, cabbage. Enjoy and repeat!