Sunday, April 23, 2017

Cucumber Mint Lime Soda

What season is it where you are? It's been waffling recently, but here in Utah it's decidedly spring; the mountains are melting, I'm sneezing non-stop and the mint has returned to take over everyone's yard.

See that stuff in the bottom right threatening my neighbor's flowers? Mint.

I used to think of mint as an expensive ingredient- I made mojitos a couple times in college, and between the tiny packages and the three-minute shelf life I always felt slightly cheated. Shows what I know though, because around here it's considered a weed: my neighbors actually thank me when I steal it from their yards.

I stopped drinking when I moved to Utah, which is a little confusing because I'm not at all Mormon. A couple of times, when eating at a restaurant, I have seriously considered ordering a glass of wine and just leaving it in front of me... you know, as a signal? "I'm not drinking, but I believe in gay rights! " Utah culture shock can be a bit much. 

These days I'm used to it, and this soda was inspired by a thoroughly addictive one I had while visiting my sister in Brooklyn a few weeks back. I demanded they tell me what was in it, and voila! I'm celebrating spring in style. Since it's basically a virgin mojito, I'm sure it'd be great with light rum, or even tequila, but I can tell you for sure that it's delicious as is.



Cucumber Mint Lime Soda

Note: I made my own mint simple syrup, but I'm pretty sure they sell this stuff in stores nowadays. If you don't live in a hippie commune full of mint and lovely neighbors, I highly recommend buying it.

2 Tbsp (1oz) Mint Simple Syrup
2 Tbsp (1oz) lime juice (aka ~one lime)
1-inch chunk of cucumber, cut into pieces
seltzer water / club soda

Fill a pint glass with ice. Thoroughly muddle cucumber, mint syrup and lime juice together- I did this in a mason jar with the back of a spoon, but if you have a cocktail shaker you should use it. Strain the contents and pour over ice; fill with about a cup of seltzer and stir well. If you're feeling fancy, garnish with mint and cucumber slices.

Cucumber Mint Syrup:

Chop ~3/4 cup packed mint leaves, and add to a saucepan with 1/2 a cup each water and sugar. (As long as you stick to a 1.5:1:1 ratio, the exact amounts don't matter). Bring to a boil, then take off the heat and cover. When the syrup is cooled, strain thoroughly and enjoy.