Sunday, April 16, 2017

The sum of its parts


Hello world, I'm back! I'm feeling juiced. I've got a new job, I've got new chickens... I could learn my lesson and just give up like a sane person, but instead I'm going to keep running into a brick wall. Is that a real saying? What with this being, like, the eighth time I've attempted this particular project, I'm starting small with some easy white-girl tacos I probably could have made in my dorm kitchen. 


But enough about that because LOOK AT THE CHICKEN BABIES!

Chicken babies 󠀽= not excited about being photographed.

I've finally committed to spending the foreseeable future in Utah, which has enabled me to check one chicken-related item off my life list: the yellow ones are named Click and Clack! They live under a heat lamp with some other chicken babies, where they practice the arts of huddling in a corner and not paying attention to me... even though I let them poop in a box in my living room for 24 hours. Ungrateful chickens. They don't even make eggs yet!


Luckily for me, my hippie commune also has 17 adult chickens, who are celebrating this warmer weather by laying eggs as fast as we can eat them. They're gorgeous- deep orange yolks, shells that are almost comically difficult to crack, and that distinctly emphasized taste of egginess that's hard to find in store bought eggs. 


They also make some bang-up tacos, which can be made in about 8 minutes and have been my dinner three times this week. The idea came from Food52, and is the kind of loose-form, easy recipe that seems almost silly to write about, but is often exactly what I want: inspiration for when I'm hungry, lazy, and haven't gone to the grocery store. Somehow the stupid-simple combination- egg, avocado, cheese, tortilla, hot sauce- makes something so much better than the sum of it's parts, and is effortless enough (did I mention it takes like 10 minutes) for an exhausted graduate student, overworked millennial or, in my case, a lazy-ass Utahn.


Scrambled Egg Tacos
Adapted slightly from Food52

3 small corn tortillas
2 eggs
1/2 an avocado
cheese
hot sauce (my favorite with eggs will always be Cholula)

Char the tortillas over an open flame. You really do want it to get blackened in places, which is great because I like burning things. I do this by turning on one of my burners and just dropping a tortilla on top of it, but if you're more responsible I suppose you could hold it with tongs. Cut the avocado half in thirds, and put one third on each tortilla. You could be all fancy and make slices, or be a normal person and just smash it with a fork. Scramble your eggs however you like- I do mine with salt and pepper in a little butter- and divide them between the three tacos. Sprinkle with cheese, douse in hot sauce, and enjoy.